Friday, April 20, 2007

I could think of some thing

Today the AP reported this little story:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Thursday the war in Iraq is "lost," triggering an angry backlash by Republicans, who said the top Democrat had turned his back on the troops.

I am not sure about anyone else but to me saying the war is "lost" sounds more like sticking up for the troops more then anything else...keeping them in this senseless war so they can get killed seems like turning your back on them.

it goes on to say this:

"I believe myself that the secretary of state, secretary of defense and - you have to make your own decisions as to what the president knows - (know) this war is lost and the surge is not accomplishing anything as indicated by the extreme violence in Iraq yesterday," said Reid, D-Nev.

Republicans pounced on the comment as evidence, they said, that Democrats do not support the troops.

"I can't begin to imagine how our troops in the field, who are risking their lives every day, are going to react when they get back to base and hear that the Democrat leader of the United States Senate has declared the war is lost," said Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.

I can imagine how our troops might feel...

"Thank god I get to come home!" or "Yes I am going to see my newborn after all!"

In my opinion the best thing we can do for our troops is to bring them home, anything else is turning your back on them.

2 comments:

Chryss said...

Well said.

George said...

Tessitura, some very powerful evidence you're right:

How do I dare say this to you moronic war supporters who are "Supporting our Troops" and waving the flag and all that happy horse shit? I'll tell you why. I'm a Marine and I served my tour in Iraq. My husband, also a Marine, served several. I left the service six months ago because I got pregnant while he was home on leave and three days ago I get a visit from two men in uniform who hand me a letter and tell me my husband died in that fucking festering sand-pit. He should have been home a month ago but they extended his tour and now he's coming home in a box.

Read the whole powerful entry from SF's Craig's List. (Hat-tip to Skippy the Bush Kangaroo.)